Outsmart ‘Porch Pirates’ This Holiday Season
With holiday shopping season upon us, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is reminding the public to beware of “porch pirates”. Porch pirates are thieves who steal packages that are left at someone’s house when they are not home to accept the parcel.
Some tips to help keep delivered packages safe:
· Track deliveries online and try to be home at the time a package is delivered.
· Ask a trusted friend or neighbour to receive your package at the time of delivery.
· If allowed by an employer, have the packages delivered to your work.
· Some stores provide a pickup-in-store service that allows you to pick up items from a nearer location.
· Consider installing a motion-detection home security system that records video and sends immediate notice of activity to your cell phone.
If packages are stolen from your home, report the incident to your local police and the shipping company.
Crime Stoppers Pembroke/Renfrew County believes that someone may have information that could assist police in solving this crime. If you have information on any criminal offense that results in charges being laid, you qualify for an award of up to $2,000.00. Call Pembroke/Renfrew County Crime Stoppers at +1 (613) 735-8477 or you can reach us at 1-800-222-8477. You could help solve a crime. All tips remain anonymous and you will not have to attend court. Crime Stoppers does not subscribe to call display. Our telephones are answered 24 hours a day. Or please submit a tip online at … Submit A Tip.
“Ensuring a safe delivery makes sense year-round, but we know that would-be thieves are especially keen during the holiday season as there is an increase of purchases. Be sure to take some simple precautions to ensure your purchases make it to the right person this holiday.” – OPP Inspector Angie McCollum, Community Safety Services