What is Crime Stoppers?
- A not-for-profit community-based charity that brings together the cooperative efforts of the police, the media and the community in the fight against crime.
- Financed through personal and corporate donations.
- Encourages the public to submit tips on crimes that have been committed, are being committed or are about to be committed.
- Pays up to $2000 per successful arrest.
- Will NOT ask for your name or ask that you appear in court.
Crime Stoppers began on Sept. 8th 1976 in Albuquerque New Mexico, following the senseless murder of a young university student. After 6 weeks of investigation without success, a local Canadian born detective named Greg MacAleese appealed to the public for information.
Greg and a local TV station made a re-enactment of the murder and asked for anyone with information to call him. Greg guaranteed anonymity and offered a cash reward. Within 3 hours of the broadcast the detective received his first call with information. Within 72 hours two individuals were arrested and the case was cleared!
Cash Reward Program
Crime Stoppers is a partnership of the public, the police, and the media, which provides the community with a proactive program for people to assist the police in solving crime, earn a cash reward for information& remain forever anonymous.
Qualifications Of A Successful Tip
A tip must:
- Lead to a charge
- Lead to an arrest
- Lead to recovery of stolen property or illicit drugs
- Warrant denial of an insurance claim
Crime Stoppers is active throughout the greater Ottawa Valley assisting our seniors’ population, fighting crime through education and prevention.
Police officers and community coordinators work in the schools and meet with our student populations, building bridges and sharing information.
In March, 2007 the Ontario provincial government announced the creation to a $10 million fund, assisting Crime Stoppers and dedicated police agencies in the fight against child pornography.
January Is Crime Stoppers Month
A time to solidify partners’ support, garner governance commitment and importantly, assure the public of our [collective] success; working together to stop predators, child pornography and internet luring.
What People Are Saying
- Crime Stoppers is a wonderful program, in particular the Renfrew County organization, thanks to tremendous community interest and support. This is a local initiative that shows not only how we can all work together to make our communities safer, but also how that effort gives back to the lifestyles we all enjoy living here in Renfrew County.” — P. Mulroy
- "Crime Stoppers helps everyone. It allows citizens to help the police in keeping us all safe. The Renfrew County Crime Stoppers is a wonderful program, as a lot of area in Renfrew County is rural and the police can’t be everywhere at once. Keep up the great work!” — T. Mirault
- Crime Stoppers is a fantastic way to get the community involved! We need to take an active role in providing safe and informed neighbourhoods.” — C. Woermke, Pembroke